Wednesday, October 14, 2009

PSAT Wednesday

I love Ms. W.  She is always raising the bar.  Since she added color to her blog posts, I guess I had better keep up with her and do the same.  Today was a "Red Letter Day!"
PSAT testing! All of our sophomores across the district were required to take the test.  A few juniors signed up as well.  While they were testing in room across the school, I did a HAPPY Dance because the library was FREE!  The schedule was shortened to a half-day, and if you weren't taking the test, you were cycling through a shortened version of Periods 1-4.  The BEST part of the day was when Mr. C. and Ms. S. brought their 60 humanities students to the library for period 2.  I enjoyed watching them team teach covering topics from Mrs. O'Leary's cow to Jesus!  What a ride!
After the students left the building, the teachers had a short inservice on Cornell Notes...similar to double column note-taking.  Mr. Scholl handed out thumb drives to all the Crystal Apple Nominees. He welcomed a new English teacher and said good-bye to Mrs. S. who will be leaving Sprague to work at the disrict level.  I will miss her.  She is not only nice, but she is ultra organized!  She always has the answers! :)  The English dept. said their good-byes after school at the French Press.  I was unable to attend because I had to rescue my son and take him to the orthodontist.  He did something and tweaked the contraption in his mouth so wires were sticking out!  Sigh...It is always something.  To make up for missing a yummy white chocolate mocha, we had our next best...sweet tea from McDonald's!  At $1 for a big ol' cup, I will take tea with my sugar water any day!
The freshman health classes are starting their big diversity project.  Mrs. M and I have been scrambling over the last couple of days to find enough fiction books with "diverse" characters.  That is quite a challenge when you have four class of 30 plus students all at once!  We had to borrow from other schools, but we did it!
I love it when they come in the the library for three days and complete a project with me using all of the libary's online resources. I wish that I could work with EVERY class that visited the lab.  It would be so much more productive.  In the meantime, I will happily take one class at a time.
One more exciting bit of news, I have been approved to go to a Best Books for Young Adults workshop in November with Mrs. M.  We have gone together in the past, and we always have a BLAST!  We learn some great ideas and come home with a wish list for new books a mile long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment