Thursday, October 1, 2009

Banned Books Week-Celebrating the Freedom to Read!

This week has been interesting.  We put up a couple of displays about books that have been banned or censored at some point. I handed out pins that say "I read banned books." I love the conversations this starts between students.  Some get angry when they see their favorites on the banned book wall or behind the glass displays.  Some ask the big "WHY?" question.  Most just discuss the books or want to read them!  Today we had an incident that was the icing on the cake.  I can sum up the entire Banned Book Week in two words: Naked Boobs.
Now for the rest of the story...
My library aides placed a few books in a display case.  They cut out letters and taped them on the glass.  The result read: Banned Books.  Some very creative souls rearranged the letters to spell Naked Boobs.  Considering that many of the books are banned due to the mention of sex and body parts, I think the little pranksters hit the nail on the head with their new little message!
Needless to say, the signage has been corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment