Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm B..A...C...K...!

So the downside of keeping a blog is that when things get hairy, writing the blog post is the first thing that goes!  So as you can see I have been busy!
The 2009 Oregon Association of School Libraries Conference at the Salem Conference Center has finally come and gone.  As the conference chair, I have been running mock 3 with my hair on fire! Here is a basic rundown of the cool events! It was all about Graphic Novels!  Authors Gene Luen Yang and Derek Kirk Kim were amazing! Britt White from NYC came.  She is a Youth Services Librarian in charge of purchasing GN and Manga for New York.  She is a part of http://www.getgraphic.org/ that posts lists of GN as well as lesson plans.  She was the keynote. It was because of her that many of the conference participants came with doubts and left craving to read a graphic novel and use them in their classrooms!  YIPPPEE!!  We also had Gail Carson Levine.  She was a hoot!  Another role model for me when I reach 60!
Daletta Gonzales and I ROCKED!  We did an awesome three-hour presentation on the Best K-8 books for 2009.  We used book trailers and U-Tube videos to enhance our presentation.  Love the Skippyjon Jones Webisodes...see sample above!  We had enough books to give one away to every participant in our session! We had over 85 people.
The highlight of the conference for me was the Sprague Manga Club members who came on Friday and Saturday in cosplay!  They were a tremendous help.  Several people commented on how fun it was to have them there to greet and help out where needed!  Way to go!!!  I am proud of you!  Thanks!
As for Sprague Library News...
The Spanish workbooks are finally here!  Yeah!
Mrs. W. is really sick. She never misses a day, but she had to go home today.  I hope she gets well soon!  We miss her!  I also must add that she had a GREAT turnout to her Saturday NaNoWriMo session at the conference.  There were many positive comments about her and the information she presented.
Mrs. M has been a wonderful addition to our library.  However, it pains me that several students have been taking advantage of her.  She brings candy for our aides, and students have been taking it, eating it, and leaving the mess behind!  GRrrr..I had to send out the message today to remind teachers to talk to their students about appropriate library behaviors!
The basic gist is to "Treat others how you want to be treated and CLEAN UP after yourself!"

No comments:

Post a Comment