Friday, November 13, 2009

TGIF!

Step aside Grisham, today there is something meatier.  I ran across this little article in American Libraries Direct, an e-newsletter of  The American Library Association published on Nov. 11, 2009.
Here is the gist:
"Jackson Pearce, author of As You Wish (HarperTeen, 2009), writes: “There’s been a lot of talk about why authors should or shouldn’t use mature language, themes, or concepts in YA literature. So I did a video!” In this direct talk to parents (3:00), Pearce advocates for “books that allow teens to speak in a realistic manner.” Parents can use this as an opportunity to talk to their teens about appropriate speech, or they can opt to go “la-la-la-la-la”..."
Of course I couldn't resist sharing.  As a high school Library Teacher not a day goes by when I don't hear the F-Bomb or other choice words.  I may not like it, but its reality.  If a young adult author is going to stay true to the characters, he or she should have "permission" to use what my mother calls "Curse Words" when necessary. 
Your thoughts?  Please share! :)
I will let you ponder that over the weekend while I finish my Grisham novel and get back on track next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment